Friday, February 18, 2011

History is Made, Malaysia are Champions.



The Malaysian Football team’s success in the recent Suzuki Cup has finally lifted the gloom that has surrounded our local football arena for the past three decades. On the fateful 29th of December 2010, Chants of ‘Malaysia Boleh’ could be heard resonating from the lips of every football enthusiast Malaysian regardless of race, color or creed as the Harimau Malaya roared to lift the Suzuki Cup after a hard fought 4-2 aggregate victory over the resilient Red & Whites. It was indeed a night to remember for all our local football fans after a series of forgettable performance displayed by the national team in recent tournaments. The prime minister has also acknowledged this victory and proceeded to reward the national team abundantly for this success.

To be honest, for me personally I was not as hopeful in the beginning as you might imagine. Contrary to the enthusiasm by which I inscribe this famous victory, I was actually rather skeptical about our chances of going all the way to the final given the way we have been performing of late. But my skepticism was challenged as I witnessed friends of mine whom have never displayed the slightest of interest for this game that I love enlighten me that Malaysia has reached the final and are up against Indonesia. It was then that I realized, if I truly claim to love this sport and my country as much as I say, there was no better time to show it than now! And looking back today, it was indeed two periods of ninety minutes that I am proud to say I have witnessed.

Having said that, with this new found zest for our local football, also comes a hint of caution. Caution that as we bask in our glory of the past achievement, we will not become complacent. More often than not, achievements make us preoccupied. They make us think we have done enough and now is the time to relax. I urge that in 2011, we will forget our past and press forward for greater feats like the World Cup which should be the ultimate trophy every football nation should aim for.



Malaysia Boleh!!



No comments:

Post a Comment